TOPIC: KNOWING AND FULFILLING GOD’S PURPOSE FOR YOUR LIFE
TEXT: JEREMIAH 29:11-14
Knowing your purpose in life can be one of the most elusive things in life and very difficult to define. For many, knowing their purpose means being successful. It may seem that when you reach the place you have defined as success, it was not success at all. When this life is over, we will find that success is simply the fulfilling of God’s plans for your life. Ultimately, success for the Christians is fulfilling God’s plan for our lives and when this life is over, hearing "well done my good and faithful servant".
HOW TO KNOW GOD’S PURPOSE FOR YOUR LIFE
(JOSEPH (GEN. 37:5-9) AND DANIEL (DAN. 1:8,6))
Here are some of the ways by which one can know God’s purpose for his life :-
SEEK GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART (1 KINGS 8:61): For you to know the purpose of God for your life, you need to seek Him with all your heart by following and keeping His commands.
PRAY MUCH ABOUT IT TILL IT IS REVEALED TO YOU (1 CHRONICLES 4:10): Only the prayer life will invite God’s presence and God’s will brings an anointing. It is through knowing God in prayer that He is able to touch man’s condition and give wonderful divine revelations.
INDENTIFY YOUR GIFTS (PROVERBS 18:16): To accomplish the purpose of God in your life, God gives that will help you. So identify your gifts and talents to identify the purpose of God for your life. To identify your gifts and talents, (a) identify those things you are interested in, (b) the things you would naturally do with ease (c) the things you do with the purpose of God for one’s life. (1 Sam. 17:38-40).
THINK DEEP (DANIEL 1:8): To fulfill one’s purpose, you need to think deeper than your mates.
SOME TIPS TO FULFILLING YOUR PURPOSE IN LIFE (1 SAMUEL 17:26-50)
1. Don’t underestimate your potential (vs 32-37)
2. Never throw away an idea just because it seems impossible to you. Give it a chance (vs 38)
3. Never underestimate the value of an idea. Every positive idea has within it the potential for success if it is managed properly (vs 33)
4. There is nothing wrong with every good idea. Therefore never reject an idea because you won’t get the credit! God can do tremendous things through the person who doesn’t care about who get the credit (vs 37)
5. When you are committed to serving, God is committed to blessing you (vs 37)
6. Never give up believing for it is your faith that will give you the breakthrough you need (vs 37a)
7.There are those who add to your life, and there are those who subtract from it. Pay attention to those who add to you (vs 28-30)
8. God does not relate with a man except on the basis of a covenant. Pay attention to your covenant with God and make sure that you are faithful to it (vs 45-47)
9. You need good-willed people to get to where you are going. Learn to nurture and keep relationships that are clean and rewarding (vs 37)
10. Respect other people’s feelings and your feelings will be respected (vs 31)
11. Take a step (vs 40,48-49)
For the divine purpose of God to be fulfilled in your life, take note of the things that run through your mind, the things that give you concern, the likely contribution that God wants you to make to the society. Everyone is created to contribute something to the society. The scripture says "you are the salt of the earth, but if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by man (Matthew 5:13 NIV).